Applied sciences innovations abounded in 2011, but so much more to come with the Applied Sciences NYC tech and engineering campus on the horizon.
2011 has seen a number of inventions — from the digital personal assistant, Siri, to clothes made from milk; a malaria vaccine that’s still in testing and an MRI that can recreate pictures of your dreams. Time Magazine is out with a list of the 50 best — on Here and Now, Time’s Lev Grossman describes inventions that range from the ingenious to the downright weird.
Some picks from the list:
1.) The surveillance hummingbird– Engineers at AeroVironment created the Nano Air Vehicle, a surveillance prototype, wingspan 16.5 centimeters, designed to mimic a hummingbirds flight. It cost $4 million and is remote-controlled.
2.) Malaria vaccine: A team at Glaxo-SmithKline has found a malaria-vaccine candidate, it’s in the trial stages of testing but is showing success at cutting the chances of a child contracting malaria by 50 percent. At this rate, it could be on the market in 2015.
3.) Better batteries: Researchers at PolyPlus have created a working lithium-water battery that could provide more energy than the standard lithium-ion battery in your phone.
4.) Stem cells from fat: Instead of throwing it out, fat that’s vacuumed out during liposuction could be transformed into heart cells to compensate for dying tissue. Fat contains stem cells that can be turned into heart muscle in a lab dish, and now researchers have developed a method for extracting stem cells from a liposuction sample.
5.) Clothes made from milk: A German biologist and fashion designer named Anke Domaske has found a way to create clothing using a material that’s made from sour milk. He extracts protein fibers from the milk, and spins it into yarn!
(Image: Milk fiber fashion from designer/microbiologist, Anke Domaske. (Deutsche Well, YouTube video)).
24 Notes/ Hide
- euvreau reblogged this from nycedc
- phlebotomytrainingjobs reblogged this from nycedc
- dreaminventor reblogged this from onceyougoblack and added:
- majorhubbs likes this
- mycellsfleet reblogged this from publicradiointernational
- tremblebot likes this
- thirstydeer reblogged this from publicradiointernational
- fannywinkle reblogged this from publicradiointernational
- kellyfaircloth likes this
- allthingslive likes this
- laughterkey reblogged this from publicradiointernational and added:
- nycedc reblogged this from publicradiointernational and added:
- onceyougoblack reblogged this from publicradiointernational
- publicradiointernational posted this