via NYC HPD:
Looking for apartments in Queens?
Hunter’s Point South Living is a brand new two-tower mixed-income development in Long Island City. 924 affordable apartments with lots of green common space are available for less than market rate.
Apply through NYC’s Department of Housing and Preservation Development: www.nyc.gov/housingconnect.
Throwback Thursday to a clear and sunny summer day on Coney Island, from our former Instagram Ambassador, Alexandra Silversmith:
This is one of several skyline photos I posted on NYCEDC’s Instagram and captures what I think is one of NYC’s treasures— Coney Island. This summer was perfect and the clouds with the Coney Island skyline almost look like a miniature doll set.
I also love that this photo shows some beautiful landmarks with the Parachute Jump on one end, the B&B Carousell in the middle, and the Thunderbolt on the other.
Find more photos of the most beautiful city in the world (NYC, duh!) on our Instagram.
Enter Pain d’Avignon at Essex Street Market and you’ll find yourself in old-world Europe. At Pain d’Avignon, all the dough is cut, shaped, and scored by hand using traditional European recipes and techniques. Step in for an afternoon pick-me-up (they serve delicious coffee too!) (at Essex Street Market)
Flour, water, and salt.
These three ingredients may sound simple, but Pain d’Avignon owners say that being creative using just these three basic ingredients can be a challenge.
This is why we constantly focus on “how” to combine these same basic ingredients in order to make something new and unique, something that will make us and our customers happy and remind us of the aromas and flavors of our childhoods.
Let’s head in to boulangerie Pain d’Avignon - where all of the dough is cut, shaped, and scored by hand - for a taste of Essex Street Market.
This Weekend in NYC
Fall is in full force - bring on the foliage, pumpkin patches, and apple orchards! Here are a few ways to explore and enjoy the city this Columbus Day weekend:
- Open House New York Weekend: October 11 - 12. Get a glimpse of NYC’s rarely seen private spaces—from boardrooms and bedrooms to factories and firehouses that are normally off-limits to the public. We’ve partnered with Open House New York (OHNY) to open a variety of makerspaces around the city to the public. For a full list of participating spaces, visit MIHNYC.
- Friday Nights at the Frick: Friday, October 10, 6 - 9 pm. Tonight’s college night offers students a chance to discover great works of art for FREE. Get after-hours access to the Frick’s magnificent collection, lectures and gallery talks, , and dance and music performances.
- Pumpkin Festival: Saturday, October 11, 12 - 4 pm. Bring the little ones to Willowbrook Park, part of Staten Island’s expansive Greenbelt, for some autumnal fun. Entertainment includes puppet shows at 1pm and 3pm; a kid-friendly performance by Patrick Raftery; and a variety of craft activities run by park educators. Pumpkins will be on sale!
- Family OktoberFest: Saturday, October 11, 12 pm to 5 pm. Sunnyside Gardens Park is hosting it’s 8th Annual Oktoberfest with Wine, Beer & Bratwurst, lots of arts & crafts, and our huge Pumpkin Patch! Low prices!
- Columbus Day Parade: Monday, October 13. Secure a spot along Manhattan’s Fifth Avenue for a family-friendly celebration filled with colorful floats and rousing musical performances.